Saturday, July 9, 2011

Medvídek Pú

Today I saw my first ever movie in the movie theater!

My mom and dad took me to the local theater, Kino Máj, here in Uherský Brod.  My babi and cousin Julie tagged along.


It's the only indoor movie theater in town, but when the weather is nice there's an outdoor theater too.  

The outdoor theater is like a drive-in, except you walk-in.  It's even called "Summer Theater," or Letní Kino.  It's set in behind the garden of the Dominikánský klášter a kostel Nanebevzetí Panny Marie, (The Dominican Monasterz of the Assumption of Our Virgin Mary)  so it's really pretty and quiet.  

One summer my dad even got dragged to seeing Sex in the City 2 there.  

He liked the idea of the outdoor theater and tolerated seeing the movie to make mom happy.

He was much, much happier and eager to take me to see Medvídek Pú at Kino Máj.
  

When I got there a lady was handing out little posters to all the kids coming to see the movie and giving them Pú stamps on their hands.

  
What makes going to a movie in Czech different than home is that when you buy your tickets, you select your seats.  You don't buy your tickets and go into the theater and find a spot to sit down.  Your seats are your seats.

Because it was a kids' movie and a lot of kids were there, they didn't start it right away.  There were two ladies that worked at the theater that got in front of the movie screen with a microphone and started talking to us.  They wanted to know if we were excited about seeing the movie.

I was, I had never been to a movie before!


Before the movie began they had us go up front and turn in our ticket stubs.  Then they randomly drew tickets out for upcoming movies.  My cousin Julie won a free ticket to see the new Harry Potter movie when it comes out!  Too bad she's too young to go see it.

When the lights finally went out and the theater got dark, I didn't get scared!  I was sitting sandwiched between my parents.

There was a preview for Cars 2, but I haven't seen the first Cars yet, so I don't know if I'll be able to follow the sequel.


Then there was a short cartoon about the Loch Ness Monster.  That really got me interested in what was going on on that screen in front of me.  

I got interested when I saw the birds on the screen.  I was so excited I screamed and pointed!

Finally, when Medvídek Pú, Winnie the Pooh, started I was comfy on my dad's lap (and then I later moved to my mom's).  


I giggled and laughed with the audience; I even clapped sometimes too (although I seemed to be the only one clapping).  When Pooh fell I said, "Ouch."  And when I couldn't see him I asked, "Where'd he go?"

Unfortunately, I'm a lot like Pooh.  My tummy started growling and I couldn't think of anything else.  So, after sitting wonderfully for an entire hour, I got up and walked down the stairs to the doors leading out of the theater.  I turned around and both said and waved, "Bye" to the screen and headed out the door with mom.  


Julie had followed me, which was good because then she came back into the theater to get babi and dad.  

We were leaving.

It was time for dinner!


It was a great experience for my first movie ever even though Dad said it was a different version than the one he grew up with.  I told him, "Yeah, that's because it's in Czech."

"No," he replied, "The entire story was different.  Pooh wasn't a little black rain cloud.  He never got stuck in Rabbit's door.  In this version he was looking for a tail for Eeyore and all the animals of the Hundred Acre Woods are looking for a monster that may have kidnapped Christopher Robin (the animals had misread a note he left behind)!"

My dad seemed disappointed that we left early.  He said now we'll never know if they find a tail for Eeyore, if Pooh gets his honey, or if Christopher Robin returns and the animals realize their mistake of thinking Tigger was the monster.


But I know everything will work out.  Why wouldn't it?  It was my first film ever, and my first movie theater ever.  So, it'd have to have a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment